Everything I do now is in Notion, or as near as dammit.
So if we’re going to be spending that long on the platform let’s get it looking amazing. In this post I want to show you 3 quick ways to improve the aesthetics of your Notion page using super-simple steps to perfect your Notion Icons in under 5 minutes.
Icons are the little square images that sit near the top left of your Notion page. They can be whatever you like because you can upload your own images but I like mine to represent the content so I select a representative image depending on whatever is on the page.
It is also the image that represents that page around the rest of your workspace and in your browser tabs.
Loads of websites, both paid and free, have popped up sharing icons that you can use in your Notion workspace, or you can make your own out of photos or if you’re especially creative, images you have curated yourself in Canva or other popular design apps.
A quick google will find hundreds but I’ve found that the best are the curated lists on Twitter (thanks for this one @redgregory) – a quick search in Google or Twitter for “notion icon packs” will throw up hundreds and then you can quickly search through for lots of different options to suit your needs.
You won’t be surprised to hear that the most comprehensive sites with the icons most likely to match your needs are paid for and the best of these with over 3 million icons is The Noun Project.
So if you want to make your own, these are my 3 very easy steps to get the perfect icon in less than 2 mins
- Find the image you want to use, from anywhere. Download it.
2. Create a custom design in Canva. You need to make is 280 x 280 px
3. Upload the image you downloaded at step 1 to this design. Crop it to remove anything you don’t want and drag it to fill the 280 x 280 pixels.
4. To make the background transparent, click ‘Edit Image’ and ‘Background Remover’, then wait for it…
5. Click Share > Download > Transparent Background >Download
6. Upload your perfect new icon to your Notion page
7. Bask in the glory of Notion aesthetic bliss!
If you’ve found this helpful, why not hop across to Notion for Teachers on YouTube, where I’m sharing all my latest Notion updates to help you build a system which helps you crush your Teacher Admin.
Thanks for reading and see you soon!